The town of Třebíč is located in Western Moravia, in the southeastern part of the Vysočina region. The town lies on both banks of the Jihlava river. Třebíč dates back to 1101, when a benedictine monastery was built here at the instigation of Moravian dukes Ulrich of Brno and Luitpold of Znojmo.
In 2003, St Procopius’ Basilica, Jewish Quarter and the old Jewish cemetery became UNESCO world heritage sites. Třebíč was thus the 12th UNECO world heritage site in the Czech Republic. When walking the crooked alleys of the former Jewish ghetto, do not forget to visit the Rear Synagogue, where a model of the Jewish Quarter in 1850 can be seen. There is a Jewish museum in the adjoining House of Seligman Bauer.
Třebíč chateau houses the Museum of Vysočina. The following four new exhibitions were opened here in 2013: ʻSvět neživé přírodyʼ (World of Geology), ʻSvět portálů a branʼ (World of Portals and Gates), ʻValdštějnové na Třebíčiʼ (The House of Waldstein in Třebíč), and ʻLidé. Místa. Osudy.ʼ (People. Places. Fates. ). The interactive exhibition ʻCesty časemʼ (Travelling through Time), which is designed mainly for children, can be found in the front wing of the chateau.